Elephants represent that which is unnamed (i.e., “the elephant in the room”) however they also symbolize wisdom and unity. Organizational development consulting is a method of addressing explicit as well as implicit, and often unnamed, forces at play – those cultural factors that constitute “the water in which we swim.” Drawing from the unique context of your own team/organization, along with my training in Human Systems Intervention*, I plan and implement customized culture change projects, organizational development processes and educational workshops designed to achieve what your team/your organization most need and want.
DISCOVERY > We have an initial consultation to get a sense of your organizational/team context. During this initial consultation, I attempt to discover the opportunities, barriers, and developmental objectives that would facilitate the achievement of your vision.
SCOPE > I go away and draft an initial proposal that articulates one or several options for addressing your organizational or team capacity-building needs (e.g., a process, training, workshop, program, culture change initiative, etc.), timeline, and scope for addressing your organizational needs
DESIGN > Once we’ve agreed to the scope of our work together, I design the option that we’ve agreed to. Past projects have included unique combinations of the following:
- Culture creation, evolution, and transition
- Leadership Development programs/Group Coaching
- Organizational design/re-design
- Staff Learning and Capacity-Building (e.g., “Train the trainers,” Workshop/Process Design and Facilitation Training, etc.)
- Visioning/Re-visioning and Strategic Planning (using an Appreciative Inquiry methodology)
- Team Building/Conflict Resolution
- Polarity Management
- Customized Personal and Professional Development
IMPLEMENT > I facilitate or help you implement the solution that I’ve designed (e.g., deliver the workshop series, facilitate or coach your team to implement the processes created, etc.)
FOLLOW UP > I attempt to build capacity and sustainability whenever possible and often include reports and toolkits (or “how to” guides) as follow-up to projects.
Past and Current Clients include:
- BC Youth Week Committee
- Catalyst Community Developments Society
- Earnest Ice Cream
- Everywoman retreat
- The Minerva Foundation for BC Women
- University of British Columbia: Association of Administrative and Professional Staff (AAPS)
- University of British Columbia: Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology (CTLT)
- University of British Columbia: Equity and Inclusion Office
- University of British Columbia: Faculty of Applied Science (Co-operative Education)
- Avatil Centre for Development: serving the independence of intellectually handicapped adults
- Community Learning Centres (CLC) of Quebec
- Concordia University: Office of Community Engagement
- Concordia University: Multi-faith and Spirituality Centre
- Green Timiskaming
- Jean Sauve Foundation, Sauve Scholars Program
- The M-Network (Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation’s national alumni group for social change)
- McGill University: Leadership Initiatives Office
- McGill University: Campus Life and Engagement (CL&E) team
- McGill University: Social Equity & Diversity (SEDE) Office
- Quebec Community Groups Network (QCGN) Young Leaders
- Radha Yoga Youth Outreach (RYYO)
*To see descriptions of work that I’ve done with the above organizations, as well as projects that I have led within former staff roles, please visit my linkedin profile
*My MA in Human Systems Intervention has trained me in “the design and implementation of interventions in social settings where adults are confronted with the need to change their perspectives, attitudes, and actions. Human Systems Intervention is inclusive of organizational development, organization design, management and leadership, coaching, change management, community development, culture change and many other theoretical and methodological approaches to creating healthier social systems for people.”
What People Have to Say...
“The work Jessica did with our team was outstanding and sustainable. She has excellent communication skills and sensitivity to people from diverse backgrounds and visions. Jessica facilitated the expression of different views all the while bringing a sense of strong purpose and unity to discussions. She is professional, creative, analytical and brings a unique approach and vision to her work. I would strongly recommend her, and I would not hesitate to rehire her. She’s a phenomenal facilitator… and I’ve experienced a lot of them!”
”Jess helped us understand and tackle the organizational issues we had ignored. I can always count on Jess to provide astute insights and help the group, as individuals and as a team, get to where we need to go. It has been a true pleasure to work with Jess; she is a great mentor”
“Your process design and facilitation workshop series for staff and faculty was outstanding. You create an excellent learning environment.”
“Jessica has excellent skills in designing projects in creative ways that work with the culture of the department. She is personable, knowledgeable, flexible, adaptable and an excellent listener. Through her leadership, our department led two very successful projects that have had a long-term effect on our work. I recommend her highly!”
“Jessica and her colleague excelled in creating trust and open exchange with all members of the organizational community. They were extremely capable in communicating with the clients and bringing forth their ideas. After collecting data from individuals representing different stakeholders, they conducted a highly effective workshop for all participants that led to consensus on several projects. They modeled for our organization ways to create shared decision-making among groups and left us motivated to improve our organization by continuing to build consistent exchange among stakeholders. As a member of the Board of Directors and the committee that worked closely with them throughout their contract, I am confident that everyone who was involved would highly recommend Jessica for process work.”
"You are a wonderful and talented person and organizations would greatly benefit from your wisdom."
Thank you for the facilitation workshop. We loved it!